A couple months back I was asked to speak at our local high school baccalaureate service. I thoroughly enjoy speaking opportunities. As I reflected on what to share I realized that this would be my 25 year high school reunion. Unbelievable how much time flies and how everybody else gets old! I wasn't real sure what I should share, but had lots of stuff come to my mind, but didn't know how it all tied together. That's when, for some strange reason, God caused me to remember that David Letterman introduced his Top Ten list my senior year of high school. That was it. I knew what I was to share: "The top 10 things "If I had only known then, what I know now" list. Since that time I have had several people ask if I could post it somewhere. Of course that had not happened yet, so I figured this would be as good of a way as any. Without any further babbling I present you my....
Top 10 things "If I had only known then, what I know now"...
10) It's not God's fault... This is not the world God originally intended. This is the world we chose through disobedience. Tragedy, disappointments will happen right along side blessings and accomplishments. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (walk by faith, not by sight) keep our eyes focused on the end.
9) Life is eternal - life here is short...eternity isn't. Be patient! Persevere! Don't be a quitter! James 1:2-4, (consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds) John 16:33 (in this world there will be trouble, but be happy Jesus already won!)
8) God is Green - God recycles. He wastes nothing. He uses everything for his good - No matter what you are going through, whether good or bad in your eyes, God is using it to accomplish his purposes in you and everyone around you. Romans 8:28, (God works out things for his and our good) 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 (learn from stuff...use it to help others.
7) You can't program life with an if...then... statement - 1 Timothy 6:6-19 - (Godliness with contentment is great gain) Philippians 4:12 - (secret of being content) if this happens...then I will be happy. Don't become a slave to stuff. Joy is not dependant on stuff.
6) Read your Bible - Sin is just a big word for disobeying God, John 14:21 (if you love me you will obey me) Matthew 7:21-27 (build your "house" on a sure foundation) read the instructions!
5) God is soooo BIG, yet he knows me! - Matthew 6:33 (seek first and all other things), 1 John 4:4 (greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world), Philippians 4:13 (I can do all things through Christ), Matthew 19:26 (with God all things are possible) 7 billion people in this world and God knows everyone!
4) Most powerful word in human language - FORGIVENESS - it brings freedom and healing - unforgiveness, bitterness, revenge rots your soul and will spoil your eternity. Psalm 103:8-13, Matthew 6:14-15 (forgive as God has us), Romans 12:9-21 (love)
3) Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. 1 Corinthians 10:23-24. (Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial, put others first.) (If you want to be great...be a servant of all)
2) Love is a choice, not a feeling - Every day I must choose to Love God, choose to love Jesus, choose to love my spouse, choose to love my kids, choose to love my neighbor, and choose to love my enemy. John 13:34, (new command...love as I have loved you) 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a (love is...)
1) 3 deadliest words in life...."what about me?" Don't say them, don't think them...They will destroy your life and ruin your eternity - Galatians 2:20 (It is no longer I who live, but Jesus who lives in me)
I am not real sure how filling these words will be for you, but they have kept me a float for a long time. Life sure is a never ending learning process. I hope and pray God's blessing on you and your family!